The Academy of European Law (ERA) will host an international conference on recent experience and current trends in international commercial litigation, with a special focus on European private international law. The event will take place in Trier (Germany), on 8-9 October 2015. This conference will bring together top experts in international commercial litigation who will report on their experiences in this field including litigation strategy and tactics.
Key topics will be:
- Recent case law in the area of European civil procedure, private and business law, including Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and arbitration,
- Best practice in applying commercial litigation and conflict of laws rules,
- Forthcoming changes after the entry into force of the new Hague Choice of Court Convention in June 2015, the recast of the Insolvency Regulation in summer 2015, the revision of the Small Claims Procedure 2015, and the Regulation establishing a European Account Preservation Order,
- A round table discussion about “Coherence, consolidation and codification: the road ahead for European private international law”.
The conference language will be English. The event is organized by Dr Angelika Fuchs, ERA, in cooperation with Professor Jan von Hein, University of Freiburg (Germany). The confirmed speakers are
- Professor Camelia Toader, Judge at the European Court of Justice of the EU (CJEU), Luxembourg
- Professor Gilles Cuniberti, University of Luxembourg
- Raquel Ferreira Correia, Counsellor, Lisbon
- Sarah Garvey, Counsel and Head of KnowHow in the Litigation Department, Allen & Overy LLP, London
- Jens Haubold, Partner, Thümmel, Schütze & Partner, Stuttgart
- Professor Jan von Hein, Director of the Institute for Foreign and International Private Law, Dept. III, University of Freiburg
- Brian Hutchinson, Arbitrator, Mediator, Barrister, GBH Dispute Resolution Consultancy; Senior Lecturer, University College Dublin
- Marie Louise Kinsler, Barrister, 2 Temple Gardens, London
- Professor Xandra Kramer, Erasmus University Rotterdam; Deputy Judge of the District Court of Rotterdam
- Alexander Layton QC, Barrister, Arbitrator, 20 Essex Street, London.