European Commission: Experts’ Group on the Recognition of Parenthood between EU Member States
The European Commission (EC) has issued a call for experts to join an Experts’ Group on the Recognition of Parenthood between the Member States of the European Union (EU).
Families are increasingly mobile as they move and travel between the Member States of the EU. Yet, given the differences in Member States’ substantive and conflict of laws rules on parenthood, families may face obstacles in having the parenthood of their children recognised when crossing borders within the Union.
The EC is preparing a legislative initiative on the recognition of parenthood between the Member States of the European Union. The goal of this initiative is to ensure that children will maintain their rights in cross-border situations, in particular where families travel or move within the Union.
In this context, the EC seeks experts to advise it in the preparation of this legislative initiative. Experts must have proven and relevant competence and experience at EU and / or international level in areas relevant to the recognition of parenthood between EU Member States. In particular, the members of the Expert Group must be experts in one or more of the following areas:
- private international law on family matters;
- Member States’ law, and comparative law, on the establishment and recognition of parenthood;
- Union case law on free movement, name and nationality;
- fundamental rights and related case law, in particular under the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights and the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) on or affecting parenthood and nationality; and / or
- the rights of the child and related case law.
The members of the Expert Group will be appointed in their personal capacity to represent the public interest. The call is not limited to experts with the nationality of one of the EU Member States.
The call for experts will run until 23 April 2021. Details about the call can be found at the following here.
this information was provided by Ms Lenka Vysoka, EC.