Summer Schools 2016, Greece
The Jean Monnet Center of Excellence and the UNESCO Chair at the Department of International and European Studies, University of Macedonia, Thessaloniki, Greece, is organising a Summer academy on European Studies and Protection of Human rights in Zagora, on Mount Pelion, Greece, consisting of two summer schools in English. The academic faculty in both summer schools are University professors and experts from all over Greece and the EU (Great Britain, Spain and Poland).
The first summer school is on “Freedom, Security and Justice in the EU“. It will be held from Friday July 8, afternoon until Monday, July 11, 2016, afternoon. In particular, the summer school will last 25 hours. The main areas of study will be:
- Institutional Structure and Development (EU institutions, Frontex, Eurojust, European Attorney) which will be analyzed by Prof. Chrysomallis,
- European Citizenship and the protection of fundamental rights in the Area of Freedom Security and Justice by D. Anagnostopoulou,
- Internal and External Security by Prof. F. Bellou,
- Immigration and asylum policies by Prof. V. Hatzopoulos and I. Papageorgiou,
- EU Private International Law by M. Gardenes – Santiago (Autonomous University of Barcelona),
- European criminal law (N. Vavoula, Queen Mary)
For further information in this summer school click here.
The second summer school will begin on Thursday, July 14 afternoon and will end on Tuesday, July 19. It will last 40 hours with a focus on the protection of human rights in Europe:
- International human rights protection mechanisms (International Covenants and International Conventions), taught by f. Professor P. Naskou Perraki (University of Macedonia)
- European Convention on Human Rights by Dr. Dagmara Dajska, expert of the Council of Europe, who will discuss the right for fair trial and the right to asylum,
- Freedom of Expression by Prof. I. Papadopoulos (University of Macedonia),
- Protection of Personal Data by Prof. E. Alexandropoulou (University of Macedonia),
- EU Charter of Fundamental Rights by Prof. L. Papadopoulou (Aristotle University of Macedonia),
- Prohibition of discrimination by Prof. D. Anagnostopoulou (University of Macedonia),
- LGBT Rights by Prof. Alina Tryfonidoy (Reading University),
- Protection of minorities and cultural rights by Dr. Nikos Gaitenidis, Head of the Observatory on Constitutional Values of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, and
- Workshop on intercultural skills by Prof. I. Papavasileiou (University of Macedonia)
For further information on this summer school click here.
A Certificate of attendance will be issued to all while a Certificate of Graduation will be awarded to all those passing a multiple choice examination.
For additional information and applications to any of the schools, please refer to the links below or contact:
Assistant Professor Despina Anagnostopoulou, firstname.lastname@example.org
or Ms. Chrysothea Basia, email@example.com