ERA-Conference: “Freezing Bank Accounts across Europe (and Beyond)”
The Academy of European Law (ERA) will host a conference on the new Regulation (EU) 655/2014 establishing a European Account Preservation Order (EAPO), which will become operational from January 2017. The conference, which will take place on 1–2 December 2016 in Trier (Germany), will focus on the practical implications of the new instrument for commercial parties, including banks.
Key topics will be:
- The EAPO and its interplay with other EU Regulations and national law
- Obligations of the banks operating in the Member States
- Scope and procedure for obtaining an EAPO
- Enforcing and resisting enforcement of an EAPO
- Maintaining surprise vs protecting the debtor
- EAPO, US and UK (worldwide) freezing orders
The conference language will be English. The event is organized by Dr Angelika Fuchs (ERA). The programme is available here.
The confirmed speakers are:
- Gilles Cuniberti, Professor at the University of Luxembourg
- Joseph Delhaye, Head Legal and Senior Vice President at the State and Savings Bank, Luxembourg
- Pietro Franzina, Associate Professor at the University of Ferrara
- Sarah Garvey, Counsel and Head of Litigation KnowHow and Training, Allen & Overy LLP, London
- Burkhard Hess, Professor and Director of the Max Planck Institute for International, European and Regulatory Procedural Law, Luxembourg
- Clara Mara-Marhuenda, Counsel Dispute Resolution, Arendt & Medernach, Luxembourg
- Fernando de la Mata, Partner, Baker & McKenzie SLP, Barcelona
- Brandon O’Neil, Senior Associate, Allen & Overy LLP, London
- Philippe-Emmanuel Partsch, Partner, Arendt & Medernach, Luxembourg
- Katharina Raffelsieper, Avocate, Thewes & Reuter – Avocats à la Cour, Luxembourg
- Daniel Staehelin, Professor, Attorney and Notary Public, Partner, Kellerhals Carrard, Basel
- Heinz Weil, Avocat & Rechtsanwalt, Chairman of the European Committee of the German Federal Bar (BRAK), Weil & Associés, Paris
Registrations before 1 November 2016 will benefit from an “early bird” rebate. After this deadline, however, discounts will be available for young lawyers and academics. For further information and registration, please see the conference website.