ERA-Conference: “New EU Rules for Digital Contracts – The Commission proposals on contract rules for the supply of digital content and online sales across the EU”
The Academy of European Law (ERA) will host a conference on the new proposals for Directives on contracts for the supply of digital content (COM(2015) 634 final) and contracts for the online and other distance sales of goods (COM(2015) 635 final), which were published by the European Commission on 9 December 2015 and contain a set of fully harmonized rules on e-commerce. The conference is organized by Dr Angelika Fuchs (ERA) and will take place on 18 February 2016 in Brussels. The event will offer a platform to discuss the new legislative package, which has already become the subject of highly controversial debate, at an early stage in the legislative process by bringing together representatives of the European Commission and the European Parliament as well as legal practitioners, stakeholders and academics.
Key topics will be:
- Scope of the proposed Directives
- How to define conformity?
- Remedies and exercise of remedies
- Specifics for the supply of digital content
- Looking ahead: High standards or low costs for online trade?
The full conference programme is available here.
The speakers are
- Razvan Antemir, Director Government Affairs, EMOTA, Brussels
- Professor Hugh Beale QC, University of Warwick, Harris Manchester College, University of Oxford
- Samuel Laurinkari, Senior Manager, EU Government Relations, eBay Inc., Brussels
- Professor Marco B.M. Loos, Centre for the Study of European Contract Law, University of Amsterdam
- Pedro Oliveira, Senior Adviser, Legal Affairs Department, BUSINESSEUROPE, Brussels
- Ursula Pachl, Deputy Director General, BEUC – The European Consumer Organisation, Brussels
- Professor Dirk Staudenmayer, Head of Unit – Contract Law, DG Justice, European Commission, Brussels
- Professor Matthias E. Storme, Institute for Commercial and Insolvency Law, KU Leuven
- Axel Voss MEP, Rapporteur, JURI Committee, European Parliament, Brussels / Strasbourg
- Diana Wallis, President of the European Law Institute, Vienna
- Professor Friedrich Graf von Westphalen, Rechtsanwalt, Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner, Cologne
The conference language will be English. For further information and registration, please see here.